Wednesday, August 26, 2009

scapular medal


This is the scapular medal that Mary got me for my birthday. She got it at the gift shop of the Shrine of Mary basilica. It is very nice and has already replaced the St. Christopher’s medal that she had gotten me in the past.

Sunrises and sunsets. People seem to love the beauty of them. One time I was driving on the highway in the Florida Keys in the very late afternoon and there were cars pulled over to the side of the road. Lots of them. Thinking that something must have happened, I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. I got over of the car and asked the first person that I saw what was happening. He told me that people were pulling over to watch the sunset over the water. He was right, the sunset was quite spectacular. These were the kind of people who appreciate nature and take time to smell the flowers and watch the sunsets. The lifestyle in the Florida Keys is much more slow-paced than that of the city life. Food for thought: if a person lived in a house on one of those small islands in the Florida keys could he walk out of the front of his house and see the sunrise out over the ocean in the morning and then in the evening, walk out the back door and see the sunset into the ocean? Wouldn’t that be great? Sort of like being on the east coast Atlantic in the morning and the west coast Pacific in the evening. I write this because I happened to step out the back door this morning and dawn was breaking and it was a majestic site. The clouds were lit and shining and although the sun hadn’t peeked up yet over the horizon, I knew that it wouldn’t be long. The birth of a new day with the wonderment of what adventures it will hold for me. I wish that I could paint like Mary so that I could record the wonders that I see. But I am definitely left brain dominant and that means my artistic skills are zilch because the artistic skills are suppose to be located on the right side of the brain. So instead of painting a picture I will just have to describe what I see with a thousand words or take a picture. Life is good. Lew





1 comment:

seaside said...

What a georgous medal. Don't sell your skills short. Words do mean alot to people. I like your descriptions of your big breakfast that Mary fixes you on Saturday.