Saturday, February 20, 2010

PICU


The cold weather has taken its toll on the tomato plants. They have been moved to Mary’s PICU (Plant Intensive Care Unit) for lots of extra TLC (Tender Loving Care). When we got the topsy turvy planter I knew that the cold weather was coming and that it wasn’t a good time to plant tomatoes. I just wanted to see if the topsy turvy would work, which it did.

We brought the tomato plants into the garage during the cold snaps. And when I moved it to the PICU we would wrap both of the tomato plants with blankets when the weather got cold. But the leaves look like they have been pretty badly beaten by the chill. Before the cold snap, the plant in the topsy turvy was doing so much better and much bigger than the tomato plant in the black plastic container. This surprised me. Why would hanging upside down cause the plant to grow bigger and bear much bigger tomatoes and a lot more of them. I am baffled. Once these plants have finished producing their tomatoes I plan on trying again with new baby tomato plants from WalMart or Lowe’s.
It’s Saturday but it is also early. The cat got me up at 5:10 to go outside. A crazy cat. She goes outside early in the morning while it is still dark and stays outside all through the cold morning hours. She will come back into the house to eat and then immediately goes back outside. Then when it is warmer in the afternoon and pleasant she stays inside the house and sleeps. I am baffled once again. Carpe Diem. Lew

1 comment:

seaside said...

I am glad the topsy device works so well. I hope you fair well through the next cold spell.