Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Garden theater


This is the Garden theater in downtown Winter Garden. Mary and I went there to see the movie Wag the Dog starring Robert DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman. I really didn’t care as much as what was playing as I was about seeing the interior of the theater. This theater has been restored to its former grandeur when movies and movie theaters were at their heyday. I always loved those grand old theaters that looked like a palace inside. When was the last time that you have seen such plush ornately decorated carpeting like this in a movie theater?

The carpeting actually looked too nice to step on. They did a fine job in the restoration process. This is the inside of the theater.

The theater was so unique. From the stars in the ceiling

to the unique side balcony’s for the VIP’s to sit.

It was a lot of fun going to the theater. With the coming of the multi-plexes you just don’t see theaters like this anymore. Time to go, Mary is waiting for the movie to start.

They give tours of the theater on Saturdays at noon where they take you backstage and give a nice narration about the theater. I think that I would like to take this tour. It would make my trip to the theater complete. I wonder if seaside and villager ever went to this theater when they lived nearby? Have a great day and take the opportunity to see a movie in an old time theater every chance you get. Lew

1 comment:

seaside said...

The answer to that one is no. Mom and I did not know the theater was there when we lived in Oakland. I know I certainly would have gone, if I knew it was there. I remember carpet like that, but the carpet was stained with dirt from foot traffic and also things spilled on it like Coca Cola. There was a pretty good size theater on John Young Parkway and Highway 50 called "The Parkwood Plaza." Also, there was the "Colonial Plaza theater" which was pretty good back when it was in full operation.