Thursday, September 17, 2009


This morning I was fooled by a streetlight. From where I sit in the dining room, I can look out a window to the east. The Chihuahua dog got me up at 5:30 this morning by jumping up, standing on his back legs, and pawing on the mattress. He had to go to the restroom and, besides, this is my usual time to get up. The dog goes out, and the cat goes out at the same time. And I start my toast toasting in the toaster (can you say that three times real fast?). Around 6:45 am I am sitting at the table in the dining room studying when I happen to look out the east window. The sky is turning gray which is the approach of dawn. I also see a bright orange light which I think might be the sun beginning to peek up over the horizon. It is hard to tell because I am having to look through the slats of the venetian blinds and the neighbors trees. I stare fixedly at it trying to discern what it is, when I finally conclude that it is one of those sodium vapor street lamps that give off an orange tinted light. I would have to wait a bit more for the real sun to come up.

What is the weather going to be like today? Typical summertime weather here in Orlando. Partly sunny with a chance of afternoon showers. Yes, here in Florida we say “partly sunny” and not “partly cloudy”. After all, this is tourist country with lots of tourists coming here to visit with lots of tourists dollars. And we don’t want to scare the tourists away with the pessimism of “partly cloudy”, but rather to keep them happy with the optimism of “partly sunny”. Remember that the cup is half full instead of half empty. And those souvenirs that the tourists but are inexpensive (not cheap). So go forth with a smile and have a fun day. After all, people come from all over the country to vacation here. To bask in the sun and swim in the warm waters of the Atlantic. What a great place to live. Are you smiling? Smile. Lew

1 comment:

seaside said...

I like the sun rise. I also like the inside of the cool house. Lots of good food and television.