Thursday, September 15, 2011

the blueberry pie


Mary and I went to the grocery store and Mary saw some "bakery fresh" pies and the sign said that they were blueberry pies so Mary got one.   I mean, blueberry pies are really good.   Mary showed it to me and I was happy that she had gotten a blueberry pie.   I just don't seem to see blueberry pies that often in the "fresh baked" bakery pies.    When we got home and I was taking the groceries out of the grocery bags I noticed that the blueberry pie was really a strawberry-rhubarb pie.
Mary had showed me the pie in the grocery store and I had missed seeing the strawberry-rhubarb label.   I have tried strawberry-rhubarb pie in my lifetime but I can count the number of times on one hand and have plenty of fingers left over.   Rhubarb always reminded me of a sour and bitter celery.   We both went from elation over the blueberry pie to disappointment with it being a strawberry-rhubarb pie.   Now it has always been my understanding that the ingredients listed on food items has the ingredients with the greatest amount first.

Now it sure looks to me as though there is more rhubarb in the strawberry-rhubarb pie than strawberries.   So why label the pie as a strawberry-rhubarb pie?   Shouldn't it be labeled as rhubarb-strawberry pie?   With all that rhubarb in the pie how can they make it palatable?

After supper we cut the pie with much trepidation.   Yes, trepidation and not trepanation.  I need trepanation about as much as I need a hole in the head.   Just a little pun for those in the medical field.

And to our surprise when we cut the pie that it was a blueberry pie after all.   Evidently the box had been mislabeled.   And the blueberry pie was very good and I enjoyed it immensely.   I had mentally prepared myself for a rhubarb-strawberry pie.   What a sway in emotions.   First happy that we were buying a blueberry pie, then disappointment on discovering that it was a strawberry-rhubarb pie, and then once again happy to discover that it was really a fine tasting blueberry pie.   What an adventure in pies this mix-up has been.   All I can say is for everyone to go out and get a blueberry pie and eat it slowly savoring every bite.   Oh yeah, don't forget to double-check the label.    Lew

No comments: