Saturday, July 10, 2010

Love Birds


Mary completed this painting yesterday. It is called Love Birds. The birds are so colorful that they must be from the Amazon jungle of South America. It just seems like all of the colorful birds are from Central or South America. Talking about Central America and South America brings to mind a discussion that a supervisor once had with me. He started off saying that there was North America, Central America, and South America. Why is it he asked that only North American called Americans? When you say I am an American, it means from the United States. Why wouldn’t a Central American also be called American? But instead they are referred to as Latin’s. It was a good point and I didn’t have an answer for him. He seemed annoyed by it. I guess that I would be annoyed also if I were from Central America and considered Latin instead of American. I was quietly annoyed with myself for not knowing the answer to a simple question like that. Now days when I am stumped by something I just ask Villager who usually comes up with an answer. After all, I wrestled with a question of a bush with yellow flowers that my mother absolutely loved but I had no idea the name of it and Villager came up with the answer which was Forsythia for which I am grateful. So have a great day whether you be North American, Central American, or South American because we are all Americans and all members of humankind. (Humankind includes both mankind and womankind. After all, we must be politically correct). Have fun today because it is the weekend. Lew

1 comment:

seaside said...

Mary's painting reminded me of the "Love Birds" I took care of for a former supervisor. She raised "Love Birds." I thought this was an unusual hobby, but I enjoyed them when she brought them to work. She left them with me,so she wouldn't have her main boss make any comment about them. This was just a temporary arraingement, but I still liked it.