Friday, September 17, 2010

acorn


"From a little acorn, a mighty oak shall grow".


This is one of two acorns that Mary brought in from the front yard for me. She knew that I would be interested in seeing it. We have two large southern oaks in the front yard which produce quite a bounty of acorns which the squirrels love. I can see a squirrel or two most every morning on the ground beneath the oak trees feasting on the plentiful supply of acorns. There are so many acorns that the squirrels couldn't possibly eat them all.


When I was young I use to like to take the acorns and remove the acorn cap. Then with a pocket knife, I would make a hole in the top and carve out some of the interior. The with the point of my pocket knife I would make a small hole in the side of the acorn. Next I would find a small twig that would just fit the hole that I had made in the side of the acorn. It now looked like a little acorn pipe and I would pretend to puff on the twig as if I were smoking a pipe. Of course this was when smoking was fashionable.


But this acorn was not made into a pipe. I tossed it and also the other acorn out onto the front yard to sprout and grow into that mighty oak. Have a nice day and try to find at least one thing of nature to marvel at and think about. There will be plenty located in the yard. When was the last time that you saw a lady bug crawling on a leaf? I always liked the little lady bugs and if they were ever in any danger, I would let them crawl onto my finger and then move them to safety. Usually I don’t care to have bugs crawling on me, like grasshoppers. But the ladybugs I never did mind.


When I worked in the bug show at Disney, there was a lady bug on the souvenir pin for the show It's Tough to be a Bug". And it is my favorite of the Disney pins. Have a great day and don't forget to look for one of nature's remarkable marvels each day. They won't be hard to find. They are all around you. Be good. Lew

No comments: