Thursday, January 14, 2010

somebody watching me


Paranoia. Or is it? I was outside in front of the house one day and had the feeling that I was being watched. No, couldn’t be. Just getting paranoid. Or was I?

I think that I see something in the window, something looking at me.

I can relax my fears. It is just Tammy the cat watching me. Work fascinates her. She can just sit and watch me work for hours. Isn’t there some poem or Bible quote about Lilies of the field that might apply to this situation?
“Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin.” I guess that Tammy the cat must be like that in a way.

Speaking of Lilies of the Field, how many remember the movie Lilies of the Field starring Sidney Poitier. It is one of my top 10 favorite movies, I can’t remember exactly how many times I have seen it but I know that it is way over 20. I am one of those people who can watch a movie over and over again from time to time because they enjoy it so much. And how about the catchy music in the movie. The music makes the movie. An all-time great movie.

Lilies must be perennials. Alongside the house in New York that I grew up in, there was a small bunch of white bell-shaped flowers. The whole plant was about 3 or 4 inches tall. The flowers were small and drooped over so that they were upside-down and looked like a little tiny white bell. I was amazed at how delicate they looked. My mom liked the little group of flowers also. She told me that they were lilies but I am not sure if that is what they really were. Both of us would check on them from time to time. Winter would come and the snow would cover the ground but each spring they were back, so small and delicate. We had such an abundance of varied and beautiful flowers when I was growing up. I was fortunate.

Carpe Diem . Enjoy life to its fullest. But most of all, be kind to others as well as yourself. Lew

1 comment:

seaside said...

I would love to compare your memories to Dick whom I use to work with. He was from Upstate New York. He has not seen your blog, but would remember a lot of things you recall about New York. He loved living there, but left so he could be with his family. Mom has different memories, I guess because of location. It is still unique to hear what she says about Indiana.