Friday, October 30, 2009

alternate uses


I know that this may seem like a strange post for a blog bgut you know, I use my digital camera for taking pictures of things other than flowers and scenery. Whenever I work on something or doing repairs, I always get pictures before I start so that I can get things back to the way they were in the beginning. It is really quite helpful. Although it seems simple to remember these things sometimes I become unsure of how something goes back together and all I have to do is look at the picture to refresh the memory. For example, the wire on my headphones got broken off of both earpieces and so the bad portion of the wire had to be unsoldered and cut out and the good portion of the wire resoldered. There were two different wires for each speaker, a colored wire and a bare wire. The colored wire goes on the contact on the right and the bare wire goes on the contact on the left. Or was it the other way around?
I check my picture and sure enough, the colored wire goes on the left not the right. Good thing that I checked. See what I mean about having the picture?
I use a magnifying lens in front of the camera to make the close ups even closer.
This method of taking pictures also helped me recently when I was doing a plumbing repair on the sink. The vertical rod that controls the sink stopper in the bathroom stopped working. I look under the sink and take a picture and printed it. Then it was off to the hardware store where I show the picture to the guy at the hardware store while I am telling him what happened. I think that he was looking at the picture more than listening to me because the picture was more helpful to him than my disjointed explanation. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I got the right part at the hardware store the first time and the job went smoothly at home. I find digital cameras great because the pictures are free, no expensive processing like with film-type cameras. But I must admit that most of my pictures are nature pictures. The beauty of nature is everywhere and I love getting pictures of it. Have a nice day and try to stay cool. Have an icee, preferably one of the blue ones which are my favorite. Be kind to someone today. Lew

1 comment:

seaside said...

What a brilliant use of the digital camera. I should keep this in mind ,if we have so major projects.