Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dirty Dancing

Much of Dirty Dancing was filmed at Lake Lure, North Carolina.    Around 2 or 3 years after the film was released in 1987 the Lake Lure Inn held a Dirty Dancing festival in the summer and I was lucky enough to be able to attend.   We stayed at the Lake Lure Inn  which is where the entire cast stayed during the filming.   An elegant hotel.
What a treat it was to walk down the elegant staircase in the hotel.
In the evenings we sat in the lobby watching a VCR play the movie Dirty Dancing.   There were plenty of people doing the same and we would talk for long periods about the movie.   We ate our meals at the hotel.   The dining room was, well should I say it once again, elegant.
And the meals were gourmet.   5-star fine dining.   At the time that I went there everything was still there.    All of the buildings, walks, stairs, etc. that were in the movie.   Now I have learned that after all these years they are still having Dirty Dancing festivals there.   This years festival is scheduled for August 17 & 18, 2012.
Here is the website for more information on the festival.
They have so many activities going on at the festival this year.   It really sounds like a great event.    And if you want to see the movie one more time, I think that they will once again have a large outdoor screen for showing the film.
Just look at all of the fans.   I had a good time when I attended the festival.    I don't understand why they call it the 3rd annual Dirty Dancing festival because the one that I attended was many, many years ago.   For me I would try to stay in the Lake Lure Inn since that is where the original cast stayed.
But if you would like to see what other accommodations are available just visit the Lake Lure website.    Remember that this is not a link and you have to type it into your computer.
Remember what a great movie it was and how nostalgic the music was?   How I love those golden oldies.


If you can't make it to Lake Lure for the Dirty Dancing festival then be sure to watch the movie Dirty Dancing once again on August 17th or 18th and pretend that you are there.    Enjoy life.    Lew

No comments: