Saturday, August 7, 2010

religious quest


This morning Mary and I went on a mission, to find a gold Scapular medal. My current Scapular medal is gold on top of silver. But as you can see in the picture above, the gold is coming off exposing the silver beneath which is corroding.

I decided to try the Basilica of the Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe. Boy, that sure is a long name. They have a huge gift shop and so I was hopeful of being able to find the gold scapular medal that I wanted. I wanted one just like the one that I have but in solid gold because this particular style of the scapular medal is what I had when I was younger but in silver. So out of nostalgia, I am holding out for the scapular medal that I want. The price of the gold religious medals have gone right through the ceiling. I figure that if we are going to spend that much money, then I want the one that I really want and not settle for a second choice. The picture below is Mary standing in front of the gift shop. Just look at the size of the building.

Mary and I looked and looked because thewere a lot of religious medals to look at. We had bought my current Scapular medal from this gift shop. We had no luck in our search. We asked a sales clerk for assistance and they couldn't find what I wanted either. I mentioned to the sales clerk that I might try The Abbey which is a Catholic gift shop/book store in Orlando. This is where I got Mary's Scapular medal which is solid gold and I had to special order it. I figured that they could order one for me of the style of Scapular medal that I liked. I was stunned when the sales clerk told me that The Abbey had closed in December. As you can see by the picture below, it was a cute little place with the little Friar Tuck painted on the wall beside the door.

I was running out of ideas. I asked the sales clerk if they could special order one in for me. She told me that they didn't like doing that. I told the sales clerk that we would pay for it in advance. She suggested that I call on Monday and ask for the girl who does the ordering for the gift shop. I feel like I am on a quest of sorts. On Monday I am going to call and hopefully they will be able to help me. Wish me luck. Lew

No comments: