Sunday, August 22, 2010

circadia


I believe that this is a circadian outer covering that has been shed. I remember finding these when I was young and always found them fascinating because they preserved so much detail of the insect that had once been inside. I was out walking in the front yard and noticed it on the under-side of the squirrel feeder/platform on the tree.

Can you see it circled in yellow. During the heat of the day when I was young there would be these loud buzzing insect noises which was suppose to be made by these circadia's. I don't know if that is true but that is what I was told.

Well, the weather is hot and humid here in Orlando and I am listening for the circadia's. Some people called them locusts which I think is a misnomer because a locust is a grasshopper as I understand it. But our little chihuahua dog duke can attest to the heat.


He likes to go outside with me. But after about 10 minutes he starts hanging around the door to go back in. The heat just gets to him. Just look at the expression on the dog's face. It says it all.


Being that chihuahua's are from Mexico I would think that he would like the heat. Especially being a short-hair dog. But I guess that he has gotten use to the good life of being in a climate controlled house; not too hot, not too cold, not too humid. The heat just seems to sap the energy out of him which it does to me also. When he has had enough of the heat and starts hanging around the door, I let him back into the air conditioned comfort of the house. Plus he has a real soft doggie bed to lay in.

Doesn't this chihuahua look "cool" in his Rae Mysterio wrestling outfit? Rae Mysterio is a wrestler from Mexico and wears masks like the one on the chihuahua. A cute picture.



Have a comfortably cool day and for those of us in Florida remember that September is the peak of the hurricane season. Let's hope for the best. Lew

No comments: