Monday, November 28, 2011

my parents

These are my parents.   My dad had a small vegetable market in Catskill, New York.   My mom always worked right along next to my dad.   They were a devoted couple and as you can see in the picture that they are holding hands.    This picture was taken a very long time ago and I was around 4 or 5 years old.   As young as I was, I do remember the vegetable market.  Or should I say the Catskill Fruit and Vegetable Gardens.    And I also remember Ted's Diner next door.
This was all a very long time ago and back then buildings weren't one story just for the stores on the first floor but were three story structures with the 2nd and 3rd floors being rented out as apartments.   Now that makes sense, why collect rent only from the markets when with the extra two stories you can collect apartment rents.   Makes sense to me.    However my parents didn't live above the store, they lived in a neighboring town called Athens.   Like I say, all of this was a very long time ago.   How long ago?   Well this picture should tell you.   Just take a look at the car parked in front of the store.
I guess business wasn't as good as it should have been because he eventually left the vegetable business and went to work first at the Liberty grocery store just down the block and then on to Grand Union grocery store in another town.   He remained with Grand Union for the rest of his life.   He really loved the grocery business.   But, oh my, what a serious expression.   He actually smiled all of the time and everyone liked him.   He probably decided to pose with a serious expression for the picture which people did back then.
It is good to remember our parents from time to time.   They were good times.   I was young.   I didn't worry about how the bills were going to be paid.   My parents did that.   I didn't have to go to work.   Once again, my parents did that.   I didn't have to lay down in the snow to put the chains on the tires of the car.   My dad did that.   So what did I do?    Well, I played all day.   What a great life!    Have a fun day today.    Lew

No comments: