Saturday, April 21, 2018

Subtitles in Films

Subtitles.   Who likes having to read subtitles while watching a movie?   Not me!   The way that I see it I can either read the subtitles or watch the movie.   How can I watch the movie when I am constantly looking at the bottom of the screen instead of what is happening above the subtitles.    I know that sometimes they like to have the actors speak in their native language.   I see this often in war movies:   the Japanese soldiers speak Japanese, the German soldiers speak German, and the American soldiers speak English.   I realize that this is suppose to add realism to the film, but I still don't like it.   So recently I bought a DVD of the movie Letters from Iwo Jima.   
I get home and, yep, I discovered that it was in Japanese with subtitles in English.  
 
 
The only time that English is spoken is when an American actor speaks which from what I understand doesn't happen very often.   I am planning on readingthe screenplay before I watch the movie to familiarize myself with the movie.  In spite of the subtitles I think that I will enjoy the movie.   How do you feel about subtitles?   Have you seen the movie Letters from Iwo Jima?   Was it good?    Lew
 
 

No comments: