Thursday, April 19, 2018

Fried Bologna

It's Sunday morning and the family is hungry.   You will make eggs, hash browns, and bacon.    The All American Breakfast.   But there is no bacon.   No problem, how about sausage.   Nope, no sausage either.   How about some fried Spam slices.   No Spam either.   OMG (Oh My Gosh) what to do.   Fried bologna.   It isn't bad.   I admit that I would rather have bacon but it is better than nothing.   As a child from time to time my mother would make fried bologna slices with breakfast.  
Now my moms bologna never came out burnt like the bologna in the picture above.  That really doesn't look very appetizing.  Hers was more like the picture below.
I happen to like bologna and so fried bologna was perfectly acceptable to me.   But frying the slices of bologna was difficult because the center kept "puckering" up.
How do you get the whole slice of bologna to lay flat so that it browns evenly.  I think that  my mom held the bologna slices down flat with a spatula and kept turning them.    What I used was one of these inexpensive bacon presses made of aluminum.    It was very light and so I would set an empty glass for weight on the knob to get it to press the bologna flat.

While on the internet I saw pictures where people had cut slits into the bologna.   I have never tried this.   I think it makes the bologna funny-looking on the plate.   Have anyone tried this?   Do you think that it makes the bologna funny-looking?   I must admit, the bologna does appear to be lying flat
So where am I going with the fried bologna topic.   I saw on the internet that they are serving fried bologna sandwiches at the Carnation Cafe in Disneyland.  
It consists of pan-seared bologna, toasted Pullman bread, ailoi, pickles and tomato.   The slice of bologna in the picture looks to be pretty thick and so probably doesn't have that problem with the center and edges puckering up.
I went to Disneyland many times in the past and I always ate at the Carnation Cafe because the Carnation Cafe was inexpensive and it still seems to be inexpensive.   But now I go to Disney World and I did a search to see if there any fried bologna sandwiches here.   The only restaurant that I found that serves fried bologna sandwiches is called the Blue Zoo (an upscale restaurant) and is located within the Swan and Dolphin hotel.    Thanks to the Disney Food Blog I saw a picture of their Fried Bologna Sandwich.
The Disney Food Blog gave praise for this fried bologna sandwich.  It consists of house-made fried bologna which is thick-cut in two slices, and layered with slabs of tomato, creamy mayo, and golden griddle-toasted rounds of bread in a fun stack. 
 The two pictures above show what looks like potato chips being served with the fried bologna sandwich while the picture below of the fried bologna sandwich at the Carnation Cafe in Disneyland shows french Fries being served with the fried bologna sandwich.      
To be honest, I would prefer the french fries over what looks like potato chips.   But the fried bologna sandwich at the Blue Zoo restaurant has two thick-cut slices of bologna.   Which to choose would be a difficult decision but I feel confident that I would choose the Carnation Cafe out of nostalgia.   What has been your experiences with fried bologna?    Would you order a fried bologna sandwich in a restaurant?

I really like the Disney Food Blog for information on both Disneyland and Disney World.    I receive their newsletter and it really keeps me up to date on new foods and restaurants in Disney.   I highly recommend it.




No comments: