Saturday, April 7, 2018

Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers

It's the springtime invasion of the lubbers.   No, not land lubbers but the Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers.   This happens each spring.
There were just so many of them congregated in one spot.   I estimate about 20 of them.   You can see that they have been munching on the leaves.
I guess that these are juveniles since they haven't developed their wings yet.   Just look at the fiery red lines.
They grow up to be quite large.   On the internet they said that they grow to be 3 inches long but I swear that I have seen at least 4 inches long.   Maybe they just seemed that big because of the small 1 inch green caterpillars that I saw as a child while growing up in New York.   This picture of a large grasshopper is from the internet and is definitely not my finger, no way.
Some fanciful diversions on large grasshoppers.
Yeah, this what goes through my mind when I see these huge grasshoppers.  I know, an overactive imagination.
They remind me of the old sci-fi flick The Beginning of the End.   A great movie if you like the old classics in sci-fi movies.   I do, especially from the 50's.
Of course the giant grasshoppers were the result of radiation.   Aren't most of the monsters created by radiation and atomic testing?   It seems that way.
 Has anyone else had giant grasshoppers of 3" to 4" in length?   Have a great day and be happy because spring is here.   Remember "April's showers brings May's flowers".   Lew

No comments: