Monday, February 26, 2018

Battery Adapters

It seems now that I use AA batteries and AAA batteries 95% of the time.   Everything seems to use them from my computer mouse to clocks to flashlights.   When I run out of AA batteries and urgently need one I just use a battery adapter that converts the AAA battery to fit into the AA space.
They are really quite simple in construction:  two plastic halves with metal fittings on each end.   They work really good.   But I have had mine for many many years.   They started getting mild oxidation on the metal contacts on the ends.   I tried cleaning the contacts with abrasive erasers
and even sandpaper but that just didn't seem to work.   The oxidation caused an electrical resistance causing the batteries to seem as if they were run down when they actually hadn't.   It was time for some new battery adapters.   Off to Amazon to find some.   I found a site that sells a package of 8 battery adapters for $3.23.   That includes shipping and handling.
I finally received the adapters and they had been shipped by air mail from Hong Kong and delivered to my mail box.
Can you read Chinese?   Fortunately there is an English translation.
Now for the point of all this.   How can a company manufacture and ship airmail to me for $3.23 and still make a profit?   Have you tried to ship a package lately?   Try it and see what it costs.   No wonder Amazon is doing so well.   Have a great day wherever you may be.    Lew

No comments: