Friday, November 25, 2016

Jack-O-Lantern Mushrooms

A bouquet of mushrooms sprung up in the front yard.   They were so tightly packed together.  
I had no idea what kind they were.   So I went looking on the internet.    The internet is just a fountain of information.   What I found was surprising.   First the name, Jack-O-Lantern mushrooms.   What a colorful and unique name.   Secondly, they glow in the dark due to a mild phosphorescence.   No, I didn't go out at night to see them glow.   I probably should have gone.
They are probably not edible.   I would never eat wild mushrooms.    Some people do and some of those that do, die each year from eating poisonous mushrooms.   If I want mushrooms I get them from the grocery store in a can.    Well, the mushrooms must have dispersed their spores and then they fall over and die.   But not to worry, they will be back.   They always come back after a period of time.   Can you spot a couple of acorns in the picture?    Yep, it was growing in the shade of a big oak tree.
Well, that was my adventure thanks to my wife who was the one who spotted it and brought it to my attention.   Does anyone know why it was given the name of Jack-O-Lantern?    I mean, it doesn't seem to look like a jack-o-lantern to me.    If you have an idea on the name please leave a comment.   Have a nice day wherever you may be.   Lew

1 comment:

Linda said...

Amazing. Lovely photos. Thank you so much for sharing.