Thursday, May 3, 2012

my first job

My first ever salaried job was here in Patrick's Diner.   My pay was 91 cents an hour plus I could have all that I wanted to eat.   Can you just imagine, 91 cents an hour.   Yes, it was a long time ago, probably around 1957.   But I thought to myself that I would drive them out of business by eating everything in sight.    Much to my surprise I discovered that when someone works around food it becomes less appealing.    After seeing food all day and smelling the aromas of the food, I just didn't feel like eating anything.   So all that I got was 91 cents an hour.   A classmate of mine, Dean, had gotten me the job which was really nice of him.   What kind of a job was it?   A dishwasher on the all-night shift working from 7:00 pm until 6:00 am the next morning.   Everyone was very nice to me but at the end of the week they found out that I was only 15 years old and I had to be 16 years old to work the job.   So I was let go, but I had a great experience there and lots of memories.   And how much did you get paid for your very first job?   Have a great day.    Lew  

No comments: