Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cuban greenhouse

They say that sometimes you can see the coast of Cuba from Key West on a clear day.   Has anyone done this?   I was living in Miami, Florida back in the middle 60's.   Living next door was a man who had recently come from Cuba.   A very pleasant individual who saw me planting some seeds in starter pots.   
You know the kind, the tray with the clear plastic cover to keep the moisture and the warmth in.

It makes like a mini greenhouse.   This man showed me how to make a very inexpensive seed starting mini greenhouse.   I decided to use the method that he had shown me many years ago.   I took am empty 2-liter soda bottle.

And I cut a portion of the bottom of the plastic bottle off.
Then I cut a long slit along the side.   Can you see it?   I have circled it in yellow.

It is really hard to see because the plastic bottle is clear.   This slit allows me to collapse the upper half of the bottle some so that it can slip into the bottom portion.   So far. so good?

I put some potting soil in the bottom portion, plant my seed, add some water, and then slip the top portion of the bottle over the bottom portion.   I take it outside and put it into a semi-shaded area.    I leave the bottle cap off so that the heat can vent some through the top of the bottle.    I wouldn't want to make it too hot.
After a few days my seed has sprouted and is rapidly growing.

Here is a nicer picture of my seedling.
What kind of a plant is this going to grow into?   A passion vine with the most beautiful flowers imaginable.
I would like to give thanks to this man from Cuba who was kind enough to take the time to show me this.  I can't remember his name and so I call this method a Cuban Seed Starting Greenhouse.   I hope that all of you have fun making your own Cuban Seed Starting Greenhouse.   Have a great day.      Lew

1 comment:

chill said...

I was living in Miami, Florida back in the middle 60's. Living next door was a man who had recently come from Cuba. A very pleasant individual who saw me planting some seeds in starter pots. visit greenhouses here