Friday, October 12, 2018

African Mushrooms

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=2624ae50430e&pieces=24

So here I was a young lad at 16 years of age.   I was working part-time in a grocery store.   I was working in the produce department.   The managers name was Fred.   A very likable and pleasant guy.   He always had a coffee mug in his hand and a cigarette in his mouth.   He really liked smoking and drinking coffee.   That coffee mug went everywhere in the store with him.   Once I asked him what type he did before working in produce.   He told me that he had worked in a dynamite factory.   I was shocked.   I said, what about smoking?   He said that smoking wasn't allowed anywhere in the dynamite factory but he would smoke in the restroom.   I stood in awe at smoking in a dynamite factory.   I know, I was gullible (and I still am).   Looking back I think that Fred was having some fun fooling a young 16 year old young man.    One other time I asked Fred a question.   There was a strange looking vegetable that I had never seen before in the produce department.
I asked him what it was.   He told me that it was an African mushroom.   Yeah, I believed him.   Later that day a woman came in and asked if we had any artichokes for sale.   I told her that we didn't.   She said, Oh, there are the artichokes pointing her finger toward the African mushrooms.    I said, no, those are African mushrooms.   She said once again that they were artichokes but I kept insisting that they were African mushrooms.   She left without buying one of the African mushrooms (artichokes).   Some doubt started to creep into my head about Fred.   Was he telling me the truth and they were African mushrooms or were they really artichokes and he was he having fun fooling me.   I decided that he was having fun fooling me and that they were really artichokes.   And to this day whenever I see artichokes in a grocery store the memory of Fred and African mushrooms comes to mind and I always chuckle a little to myself about it.   African mushrooms, indeed.   And when I did this jigsaw puzzle in the link above I thought once again about Fred the produce manage.   The link above will take you to a 25 piece version of the puzzle so it will be easy to do.   Enjoy.   Lew

No comments: