Saturday, August 25, 2018

Scapular medal


I had a gold Scapular medal on a gold chain.  
Gold is nice in that it doesn't corrode.   Stays nice and shiny forever.  Unfortunately gold is soft and breaks easily.   And that is what must have happened.   One day I discovered that the scapular medal and chain were gone from around my neck.   I had worn the medal and chain for so long that I had gotten so use to it that I was not aware of it.   I looked but I couldn't find it.   I decided to replace the gold Scapular medal with a silver Scapular medal with a silver chain.   Silver will be much stronger than the gold.   Plus the gold was really expensive.   I decided to go to the Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine locally.   It is incredible huge.   Maximum capacity inside the shrine is:
That is a lot of parishioners.   The gift shop is equally large.  By far, the largest religious gift shop that I have ever seen.   They have an incredible selection of everything that you could ever think of, including some scapular medals.  They had three of the same design.  
But hey, guess who was there?
 Not really.   It was just a life size cardboard cut-out.
Their scapular medals were just too modernistic for me.   I am more of a traditionalist.  I still have an old scapular medal that I had which I have always liked the design best.  I think that it was gold on silver and after a period of time the gold started to flake off.
On the back side of the medal you can see how the gold has flaked off.
This particular shape is very difficult to find.   I did an unsuccessful internet search.   So I decided to see if I could order something of a similar shape and design from Amazon.   If it was close I would be happy.   I couldn't believe it when I found the same exact medal shape and design in silver for sale on Amazon.   I was elated.
It has been shipped and is on its way.   The silver should not break.   But it will tarnish.   But that is alright because it is easy to clean.  I am happy.   Have a blessed day.   Lew

No comments: