Monday, July 6, 2009

Elsa, the lioness?


Elsa the lioness? No, just Tammy the felinis domesticus (the scientific Latin name for house cat). She is pretending to be the great hunter but in actuality there is probably just a bug or something down in the grass that has caught her attention.

In a sense she reminds me of myself when I was very young in that all I had to do all day long was to play and explore. I didn’t worry about how the bills were going to be paid, go to work, and all of the other things that my parents had to be concerned with. My concern was playtime. Well, I did work once. I had a kool-aid stand one summer on a wooden box by the road in front of my house. I didn’t sell any of the kool aid but all was not lost, I ended up drinking the kool aid myself. And to make matters better, it was my favorite flavor, cherry. I think that most children had a little kool-aid stand set up at one time or another in their childhood. So Tammy the cat has a good time all day long playing outside with the other cats in the neighborhood, then comes in for lunch,

and then wants to go back outside for more fun.

We don't have to call her for meal time. She seems to know lunch time and supper pretty well. By the way, I loved the book Born Free about Elsa the lioness. A great story and over the years I have reread it. They made a movie of the book but as they say the book is always better than the movie. In this case I have to agree. I liked the book better than the movie. A great book for anyone who hasn't read it, go to the library and check out a copy. It will tug at your heart strings. Very sentimental. Have a good day and enjoy your pets whatever they may be. Lew

No comments: